Saturday, March 19, 2011

Modesty Panel

Corset back dresses often need a modesty panel in the back for a little extra coverage.  Here's how they are made.




  • Measure length and width of finished panel and add a minimum of 3" to the width and 2" to the length.



  • cut a panel the size of your measurements on the fold (the fold will be the top of the panel.
  • Apply Iron-on interfacing to entire panel



  •  Press the whole panel -- especially the fold



  • In order to add stability to the panel you will add several pieces of sew-through boning horizontally and vertically.  Cut each piece of boning about 1" shorter than the area it will be applied and angle edges to mimic the angle of the panel.  Here's a few pictures in case this is confusing!



The first piece will be applied right along the fold






Evenly space the rest of the stays

Now add the vertical stays --sew right over the top of the others
wrong side


right side










  • Fold in half with right sides together
  • Stitch down one side and across the bottom




  • Turn right side out, fold in the seam allowance on the open side and top stitch closed.




Here's what the front and back will look like:



Here's what a more narrow panel will look like ( this one only has one horizontal stay










  • Add snaps to one side of panel and dress



  • Hand stitch the panel to the dress about 1" from the edge and down about 2-3 inches.









Here is what it should look like all finished:





Enhanced by Zemanta

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my little blog and becoming my newest follower! I'm excited to be following you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking for a tutorial for a corset back wedding dress for my future daughter in law because I'm making her dress. Your tutorial was perfect! Thanks so much for your great advice. I'm definitely printing these off for us to use!
    Oh and I'm following you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am adding to a bridesmaids dress for a new mom (2weeks after delivery). Im having to add 9 inches at the top of the corset. will that amount look too obvious for a corset back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding nine inches in one spot isn't ideal, but when all else fails, I have done it. I would see if you there is any fabric in the side seams to let out so that you don't have to add quite as much in back. Many wedding and bridesmaid dresses have pretty big seams! Good Luck!

      Delete
  4. Not enough in the side seams, plus their is trim added to dress that I cant find! Love the tutorial helped so much Thank You! After finding your site I helped a young lady who is a pageant contestant. She is having a gown altered to corset back. I gave her your blog site, she was thrilled!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry there wasn't enough in your dress to let out! I'd love to hear what you did to solve the problem.

      Delete
  5. Great site. I do prom dresses for girls that have limited funds. We have an enchantment night for them to find a donated dress. I often need to do this so your site finally made the process much easier . Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic website you have here but I was curious if you knew of any discussion
    boards that cover the same topics talked about here? I'd really love to be a part of online community where I can get suggestions from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!

    my site :: Author's external home page.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect tutorial! Exactly what I was looking for and excellent description!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a very silly question....the loops that the lacing go through...what are they called and do you have any suggestions for what fabric to use for them? Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call them loops! I always try to match the fabric of the dress, put if I have a choice I use a super smooth, shiny fabric like satin. It makes turning the loops WAY easier than using something rough or dull. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  10. Very informative and a great help to me as working on bridal gown at mo ...need to enlarge modesty panel .... thanks from Jilly in UK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi i had my wedding dress turned from a zip n button to corset back but it also had a buildt in corset 4 loops then then buttons covered this ..u understand .not very good at explaining.
    Anyway the lady said has know what she was doing n used the iner corset as part of the new corset .n then took the zip out.
    Which was fine as i could zip it up .
    So now i have cordet back starting from the inter corset down pass my bum
    Whenbi put dress on shoulder straps fall down cuz its not tight enough round the back
    The back had six buttons ..the bodice of my dress is sheer lace n heavy beaded.
    How do oi add 3 loops on the lace
    Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would need to add some seam tape or something to stabilize the lace and then add the loops.

      Delete