I've been putting most of my creative energy into Christmas presents so the last few birthdays have been dresses made from patterns. Here's Anna's birthday skirt.
I wanted to use wool but opted for a heavy cotton flannel so that it could be machine washed (always a plus with children's clothing!) and I used McCall's pattern # 5459. The pattern is very easy and has several variations so it's a great value.
We have had a single yellow balloon on our dining room floor for almost three weeks now. It is a leftover from our sweet Darla's birthday. Darla's family moved a couple of weeks ago and I can not bring myself to pop that balloon! We miss them!
Here's the birthday dress.
This dress was made from the same pattern as this dress. I did a regular hem rather than the bubble hem that was on the previous dress.
Happy Birthday Lucy! Here's the dress I made for her.
I used Simplicity pattern # 1596. I think it's pretty cute! The pattern was pretty easy if you don't mind lots of gathers. I did use fabric trim on the bodice rather than the purchased trim that was recommended.
Here's my blue and orange quilt. I sort of made this quilt up as I went along. I started with a plan but it kept changing! This was my first attempt at straight line machine quilting on a large quilt. Let's just say I learned alot!!
I really like sewing for myself, but other projects always seem to be a priority. If I had the time, I would make all my clothes. I did find a little time this month and made myself a vest out of the leftover fabric from this project. I still love this fabric! I used McCall's pattern # 5186. Loved the pattern, love the vest.
I was a little overwhelmed with the thought of designing and making 6 little Christmas dresses this year so I decided to design one skirt for all the granddaughters! I ordered some Town and Country little diamonds fabric by Dear Stella in three colors and made matching skirts for the sisters in each family. Here they are all finished!
I used McCall pattern 6594. This dress went together very quickly. I did change the flower on the belt to this flower with a fabric covered button. I also made the belt close with velcro rather than a button.
We just returned from Disney World so we've seen a lot of really cute mice lately, but I have to say that Darla is the cutest of them all!! Here she is in the mouse costume I made her for Halloween.
I used Simplicity pattern #2506. The main part of the costume was great--pretty simple. The fit of the hat is a little off. The opening for the face should have been bigger and it could have been several inches longer in back. Unlike the rest of the pattern, the hat sizing is small, medium or large. The pattern definitely needs some adjustments.
I realize most everyone has started thinking about Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I'm a little slow! Here's another Halloween costume. Lucy wanted to be a pink cat so I used Butterick pattern # 3238 and whipped her up a costume. The pattern was easy and went together well. Here she is:
Our newest granddaughter, Norah, has arrived! She is beautiful! Here is her quilt.
I used some cute Riley Blake fabrics from the Fly a Kite collection and the very simple Building Blocks Baby Quilt pattern from the Moda Bake Shop! I did make the border a little wider and used some of the scraps for the back and binding.
Our beautiful little Lucy turned 3 last week! I made both Lucy and her new doll seersucker dresses to celebrate.
Because summer is almost over I had a little trouble finding some easy care seersucker but finally found this pretty blue to match Lucy's eyes! I used New Look pattern #6884 and made absolutely no changes! What a surprise! The dress was simple and went together beautifully. The only thing I would change if I were to make it again would be to cut the sleeves on the fold and make a casing for the elastic rather than using seam binding. Finally, I designed a matching doll dress. What fun!!
For pictures of this dress in action, here you go!
I have been neglecting my blog while vacationing and entertaining family and friends. It has been a very nice summer, but now it's time to get my mind back into serious work mode! I have been sneaking in some fun sewing. Here's our little Ellie's birthday dress.
Sorry, I know the picture is horrible! I started with New Look Pattern # 6958 then changed the direction of the pleats and add some fabric trim.
Here's a quick way to change a straight neckline into a sweetheart.
It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the dress above started as a strapless gown with a straight across neckline.
1) Measure to find the center of the dress and then measure down 2 to 3 inches.
2) Start at the bottom pin and using a heavy duty thread, take a running stitch up to the top of the dress.
3) When you get to the top, pull the thread tight to gather and then run your needle back down through the gathers. On a dress like this --thick and sequined-- I would sew through the gathers a second time.
4) Tie a knot and then make a chain with the remaining thread and tie another knot
5) Here's what it looks like all finished:
There are several other ways to get the same look, but I find this method is quick and effective.